Critical Care: US Vs the World – a review by Holly Rosenberger

PBS Video: Health Care: US Vs the World

Review By Holly Rosenberger

“A country with such remarkable innovation, and yet so many are struggling. “

Heath care: America vs. the World – YouTube

Let me start of by saying that was an excellent video comparing and contrasting the different type of health care systems from around the world. I think this video did a great job of showing both the positives and negatives for all of these different nations. The journalist traveled to four different nations: Australia, Switzerland, the UK and Canada. After talking to many of the citizens in each area, I think it is clear that not one place has all the answers. There were some common positives and also some common negatives with each other. The author of this video compared and contrasted the other countries vs the United States health system. I think the answer we all want to know is- How do they care for virtually everyone, and yet it costs so much less than in the United States?

The four major health care coverage systems they discussed are Universal Coverage with single payer systems, Universal Coverage with multiple payer systems, Multiple payer systems with no universal coverage and then no national health care meaning payers pay out of pocket for all. The United States of America uses all four of these systems, yet the US is ranked 11th out of the 11 industrialized nations. We have been called the most expensive and least effective health care system in the world. In the U.S. in 2021, there are around 30 million Americans without health insurance. Also, in November of 2022 there are 6 million Americans who are unemployed. This means that not all jobs do offer health insurance for their employees. Everyone who works, like the first lady in this article, has to not only pay for housing, food, and gas but pay for health insurance out of pocket. She couldn’t afford the insurance, she had to choose between eating or health insurance. That is not acceptable. American’s put off health care, just for fear of the cost. Many who are working, don’t meet the requirements for Medicaid either. I know many that have visited the hospital with Medicaid for health insurance and have told me they can’t work, or they won’t qualify for the insurance if they made any more money than they already do. So, if you work a lot, you have to pay for the insurance, but if you don’t work, you get the insurance but can’t work. The system is flawed as far as government assistant health insurance. That for sure is a whole other discussion but certainly leads to the spending on US healthcare debt. 89 million Americans are currently enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP (for children).Percentage of Population Enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP by State | Medicaid.

One of the key things I took away from this video however, and the point I like to make is that all the other nations had government capping. The government controlled the prices of medical care. They controlled the top price medications, test and doctors’ appointments can be billed for. I think that is the biggest problem with the US healthcare. For example, I have personally looked into this lately. My son broke his leg in October, and I have learned so many things about the hospital, the outpatient facilities (orthopedics) and physical therapy. Deductible, co-insurance, in network, out of network, and CPP. I really think insurance should be a class in college. One of the biggest take away I have learned is what is the CPP. Clear pricing project. The State Health Plan’s Clear Pricing Project (CPP) was developed to secure the plan’s financial future and to promote quality, accessible health care. This project – only if the facility agrees, cannot charge more than the government says for certain procedures. This is kind of what the other nations have done.

There are only a few of these facilities that offer this type off CPP within the state health insurance. Many of these do not offer this, where they can bill anything, they want for a procedure. I personally think that if that if the government can put a cap on these charges, it will be better for all the citizens. If they know a clear price, or that all of it will get covered by insurance more people would opt in for the care. In the United States, they stated that people will not get the care they need because of the prices. If they know that insurance would cover it, or they know they price of these items they are more likely to get the care they need. If you go the dentist let’s say, and you need a filling, the dentist can charge your $200 but the insurance is saying it only cost $150 to fill. You have to pay the difference and may not be aware. If they put a cap on how much they can charge, the whole visit will be covered by your insurance.

I think the perfect health system does not exist, as proven by the pro and cons from all the nations. People do not want to wait 18 months for an elective procedure like a knew replacement, and people can’t always afford to have health insurance, as much as they can’t afford not to. Most people would say that a knee replacement is not and elective either. I think the biggest take away is government capping. I think that might be the key thing that will help the citizens not only get the care they need before it is too late and be able to afford it too.