PBS Video

Health insurance is one of those topics that can be sensitive for some. As Americans, even when the pandemic struck, some of us made the joke of the fact of moving to Canada simply for their “free healthcare”. As with anything, there are pros and cons to the system. It is the stance that politics takes a stance in the decisions of these systems. As time as moved forward, Americans are not trusting the government and their choices. When COVID-19 and the decisions were made, individuals were not happen with mask mandates, “the world shutting down” and vaccine mandates. I know that even for myself it took some time getting the vaccine. For the sake of my family especially my grandparents and to continue my job, I had to move forward with a vaccine and the booster.

A lot of individuals have trouble with the cost of healthcare as even working for minimum wage, it it hard to take even more out of their paychecks. I personally can speak that even working just above minimum wage, I have a hard time with saving upon all my other expenses. I am beyond grateful to still be apart of my parents’ plan to save money on benefits from my own place of employment. I am now able to pay all of my expenses and save for a place on my own. I was barely even making enough even with bonuses and overtime as a CNA. I have been paying for my own tuition, student loans, car, phone, etc. The quote made in the video made of that we are the most expensive, yet ineffective healthcare, they have a point. We do not help those that are in poverty and of lower income, but provide all the benefits to those of a higher class. In the US you have the choice of insurance, but then also of plans like HMO and PPO. The difference is between cost effectiveness and the flexibility of who you want to see.

Taking a look at other countries and their single payer option or forcing every individual to have health insurance, it could potentially happen for us but it would be a long battle. We have a system that constantly evolves with politicians that it is difficult to gravitate towards a single payer. Plus the government would have the say in what the pricing would be. Right now the public already see that pharmaceuticals and health insurance companies can be greedy. An example of that we have such a high rate of diabetes whether it is Type 1 and Type 2, when in theory insulin doesn’t cost that much yet pharmaceuticals inflate that price to the public. If it wasn’t for companies like Good RX, some people would have difficulty with their medications. Individuals in countries like England and Australia don’t have much concern with medical bills compared to those in the US. I am from Massachusetts and we have plans to assist with insurance. We even have PMFL which even with per diem/part time workers if they meet a certain amount of hours they are able to take paid time off for sick days. We also provide some of the best medical treatment at our hospitals. St. Jude is another great organization that assists with kids that are diagnosed with cancer to help families with certain expenses.

It was interesting to take a look at between England, Switzerland, Canada and Australia. Some look into the case of having a single payer of the government to pay for costs, some are required to have health insurance which can have higher costs but provide a higher quality of care or to have the overlapping of public and private insurance which works in their country and don’t pay as much into healthcare as much as the United States does. These countries have higher expectancy rates and have lower cases of high risk diseases. You would think that we would look more towards with helping individuals as hypertension, obesity and diabetes are top diseases that many Americans suffer with. Even though we have Medicare and Medicaid, it is meeting requirements that makes it difficult for even more individuals to benefit. The woman in Houston is a great example as to that once she was diagnosed with cancer then she met the requirements of Medicare.

These are some of the issues that as a nation we still need to evaluate as well as other political matters that are at hand.

1 thought on “PBS Video”

1. Hi Ceili,
    Great post! I thought it was interesting that you brought up being apart of your parents health insurance plan. Healthcare can be so expensive, if if you are employed that cost coming out of your check can take a toll. I can remember when I turned 26, and was automatically booted off of my parents insurance how I did not want to seek medical treatment at all due to the fear of high medical expenses. Thankfully I am insured now, but there was a gap when I would just “wait it out” as many people in this healthcare system do which is very unfortunate. It was also interesting that you mentioned insulin prices. It is ridiculous how much insulin costs here when people need it to live. I had a friend who was insured through military benefits and could get it at no cost, so he would sell it at a much cheaper cost to one of his friends who was also diabetic but could not afford to buy it. I remember thinking what would his options be had he not been able to purchase it from his friend? This is something that just should not be happening to anyone. Politics need to be put aside when considering human lives. So many people could be saved, and trust the government a little more if they feel that they actually matter.