FAQ’s

How do I get a Pirate ID? All faculty, staff, prospective students and some non-ECU users are assigned a username (PirateID) to access the ECU network and other online resources such as Blackboard and email. First-time users must activate the PirateID, create a secure passphrase and register in the online ECU Passphrase Maintenance System. Thereafter, the passphrase is changed every 90 days (required). For more information, see the PirateID website.

How can I get my exam proctored?  Distance Education courses can use the ECU DE Proctoring Center or the UNC Online Proctoring Network to have exams proctored.

How do I enter final grades?  All grades must be submitted electronically via Banner Self Service by the date identified on the Academic CalendarClick here for instructions.

Are there any syllabus requirements? Please see faculty manual and check with your department.

Are there specific grading requirements. Check with your department for specific grading requirements.  In the Graduate School, grades consist of A, AU, B, C, F, I, NR, S, U, and W. Click here for a definition of grades.

How do I set up final exam when class does not meet regularly?  Please see faculty manual 

How to use the many resources available?  Best to choose 2 resources you want to become familiar with and learn those prior to trying them all.  Think about what the subject matter you are teaching and how best it may be presented to your students. 

How can I deliver my class if I am not on-campus?  ECU offers Blackboard as your Learning Management System for distributing content to students.  Mediasite Desktop Recording Software will enable you to record lectures and/or demonstrations for your students.  Communication in real time can be done using WebEx, Saba or Blackboard Collaborate.