NCLA Biennial Presentation: Know Your FSB From Your KGB

On October 19, I delivered a presentation titled Know your FSB from your KGB: Researching Soviet/Russian Intelligence in America, at the North Carolina Library Association’s (NCLA) 2017 Biennial Conference. Here is the abstract:

In light of last year’s election-related hacking, and the popularity of programs such as The Americans, the topic of Russian intelligence activity in America is once again prominent in the news and in popular culture. This presentation will offer an overview of the various Soviet intelligence services, their evolution, and their post-Soviet successors, as well as a brief history of their operations in America, down to the present. In addition, tips and guidance on how and where to research this topic, especially how to find federal government information, will be provided.

I am now pleased to be able to offer the slides from this presentation, as well as an extensive, but far from comprehensive, bibliography. Due to file size limitations, I have been forced to post a version of the slideshow without images:

NCLA FSB KGB-Final no images (PDF)

FSB-KGB Bibliography (PDF)

Update (11-28-17): The full slides with images can now be viewed via ECU’s ScholarShip institutional repository and via the GRS website.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or requests for additional information regarding this presentation. My thanks to NCLA, and to the Government Resources Section, for sponsoring it.

David M. Durant

Federal Documents & Social Sciences Librarian

J.Y. Joyner Library

Pin It on Pinterest