You are currently viewing Ask Miss Liza: Local Confinement (Jails and Prisons)

Ask Miss Liza: Local Confinement (Jails and Prisons)

Dear Miss Liza,

I’m sad to say that we visited my nephew (Jason) in jail last week and it got me to thinking about the sanitation in jails and prisons. Who inspects these types of facilities?  Jason said he didn’t commit the crime… even though the police found the stolen goods in his home, the security camera has him on tape, he dropped his wallet with his identification on the floor while fleeing the scene, then while fleeing, he tripped, breaking his arm and drove himself to the hospital. When he was released from the hospital, he realized his car had been towed and taken to Lenny’s Garage. When he got to Lenny’s Garage, he found out they were CLOSED!!! And Lenny had gone on vacation! I guess it just wasn’t his day!   

Charlie

Ask Miss LizaDear Charlie,

I hope you don’t mind me saying this but… your nephew is not the “sharpest knife in the drawer”. Ask him if he knows my cousin Marc who’s in jail for insurance fraud. Marc set his house on fire to collect the insurance money… the fool didn’t even have insurance. (I guess that’s 2 dull knives in the drawer.) With regards to the sanitation in jails, prisons and detention centers… yes, local and state Environmental Health professionals are responsible for the cleanliness of floors, walls, ceilings, storage spaces, utensils, ventilation equipment, and other facilities; adequacy of lighting, water, lavatory facilities, bedding, food protection facilities, treatment of eating and drinking utensils, and waste disposal; methods of food preparation, handling, storage, and serving; and any other item necessary to the health of the prisoners or the public. Environmental Health is everyday, everywhere, everybody! Bye!

Miss Liza