You are currently viewing Ask Miss Liza: Food Safety While on Vacation

Ask Miss Liza: Food Safety While on Vacation

Dear Miss Liza,

I’m going on vacation with the family to Disney World this summer and can’t wait to ride the Space Mountain rollercoaster! We’re so excited! I plan on making my famous chicken salad sandwiches for the long trip from Delaware. Do you have any advice on how to make the long car trip really fun and… do you ride rollercoasters?

Ashley

Ask Miss LizaDear Ashley,

I’ve got good news… and bad news. The good news is… you MUST ride the Space Mountain roller coaster. I lost my “almost-gold bracelet” riding that thing! The bad news is… nobody likes your chicken salad! (Your kids wrote Miss Liza a letter last summer talking about your sandwiches.) You see Ashley… chicken salad is what we call a Potentially Hazardous Food (Time and Temperature Control for Safety) which means bacteria like Salmonella, Listeria or E. coli can grow very rapidly in the moist, high protein food and make you sick! You must keep cold foods cold. Pack the sandwiches in a cooler with ice or an ice pack, or refrigerate them overnight. I would recommend that you forget the chicken salad sandwiches (nobody likes them anyway) and go with Peanut butter & Jelly… and if you find an “almost-gold bracelet”… IT’S MINE! …Bye!

Miss Liza