You are currently viewing Welcome, EH faculty Dr. Heidi Knecht!

Welcome, EH faculty Dr. Heidi Knecht!

ECU Environmental Health Sciences (EHS) Program welcomes Dr. Heidi Knecht as our new Environmental Health faculty! Here are some words from Dr. Knecht to get to know her more:

Hello!

My name is Dr. Heidi Knecht, and I am thrilled to join the Environmental Health Program as a Teaching Assistant Professor. This fall, I will be teaching several sections of the Introduction to Environmental Health Science course.

For the past four years, I have served as a registered environmental health specialist at the Craven County Health Department, specializing in the Food, Lodging, & Institutions section. I started my tenure there as an environmental health specialist and was later promoted to Environmental Health Program Specialist.

I hold both a Master of Environmental Health and a Doctor of Public Health from East Carolina University, with my doctoral concentration in Environmental and Occupational Health. My previous research has focused on insecticide resistance in mosquitoes and the occupational health and safety of logging and forestry workers in the U.S. Moving forward, I am eager to collaborate on research related to occupational health and food science.

Outside of work, I enjoy painting as a means of relaxation and spending time with my pets. I share my home with two cats named Riker and Izzy, and a leopard gecko named Mango.

I am excited about the opportunity to contribute to the Environmental Health Program and look forward to potentially expanding course offerings for those interested in occupational health.

Dr. Heidi Knecht