Education: Freedom or Oppression? (Villachuato, Mexico)

While looking for articles to help me validate beliefs I had on increasing literacy for females and the benefits linked with literacy I stumbled across an article by Susan V. Myers entitled ” ‘ They didn’t tell me anything’: women literacies and resistance in rural Mexico.”  The approach taken to gather data for this article was a Reflexive Critical Ethnography, which included personal interviews and participant observation.  It encompasses the struggles women in the area of Villachuato, as well as one case study from the United States, have to overcome in order to reach a higher level of autonomy and increased social status.

Women literacy in Rural Mexico (The link should work, but if not just go to www.ecu.edu/lib go to database and select social science: sociology and select “SociIndex with full text” and type in Susan V. Meyers, its the first article that pops up.  It is lengthy but the important sections are the case studies that appear on p. 862-868)

Also as far as modern education efforts go in the urban areas here’s a video that provides the whole view and affect on boys and girls: Improving Education in Mexico