“It’s not enough what I did in the past — there is also the future.”

I recently stumbled across the inspiring biography of the life of Rita Levi- Montalcini, a neuroscientist who won half of the the Nobel Prize for her work in discovering the human Nerve Growth Factor (NGF), a protein made within the body to maintain growth, maintenance, and survival of important neurons. Without this factor, individuals experience apoptosis, or programmed cell death, shrinkage, or morphing.

She is a hard working and vigorous individual, still working to her fullest potential through old age. She worked with the European Brain research Institute as well as with a foundation she began herself that works with African American women who have no scientific facilities, as well as with countless other scientific facilities and organizations. “Above all, don’t fear difficult moments. The best comes from them.”

If her accomplishments alone aren’t impressive enough, her taking her background into consideration makes her all the more admirable. Levi-Montalcini was born in early 20th century Italy, a sexist and anti-Semitic country at the time. She fought against gender issues against even her father for the ability to go to school while being fined by Mussolini under the instated anti-Semitic purity laws. Being denied the necessary scientific facilities herself, she made due with the makeshift areas available to her during World War 2, such as farmhouses and even her own bedroom. “I can say my mental capacity is greater today than when I was 20,” She says, “since it has been enriched by so many experiences.”

26-heanew-ap_167653tjpg

The quote titling this post is from Rita on her 100th birthday. She conducted research every day until she died on December 30th 2012 at the age of 103.

“If I had not been discriminated against or had not suffered persecution, I would never have received the Nobel Prize.”

~Carolyn Walence