Letter and Comments on Domestic Violence and African Americans

By C. White on October 2, 2015

I researched many articles and research on Domestic Violence (DV) and African Americans, and unknowingly internalized the traumatic tone and voices of the different authors in ways that significantly touched my emotions, especially from years of firsthand observations, experiences, and acknowledgments of different mistreatments and DV incidences.

Thoughts also went to people that I know, used to know, is related to biology or through marriages, and then came to deeply understand them more. These people are of different genders and races, and outside of these articles, what would these particular people think? Well, none would like it and after knowing their own personal accounts and viewpoints of different political issues, I stopped being affected by the tone of these articles, which were expressed in my own writings and comments.

The tone of the research needed less victimization and politics, but more encouragement and understanding.

Although, this research is specifically on African American women, older people I know, who used to have DV experiences, might say that the act of singling out African American women from common issues would maintain a secluded, victim mentality. As a result, would lead the group to think that they are worth nothing else but negative things, including DV. The older might also say that the act of singling out is a trap that leads to pity, which weakens and discourages from every aspect of motivation and success.

But although the focus of this particular research is DV on African American females, in general, there were years when I was emotionally touched by the DV on the women and men of different races, particularly ones I knew personally and I am deeply affected by their past and current situations as I sit and type this.

DV is an unfortunate issue that is very complicated to address and is truly not a race or ethnic issue or one to be generalized. Also, different factors led many men, of different races and ethnicities who I know, to commit DV on their women. The reasons ranged from stress, childhood traumas, financial issues, drugs, alcohol, depression, retaliation from constant abuse from the women, anger from adultery offenses, and mental disorders.

I am aware of people who label all abusive men as monsters or ones who stay excessively provoked. They would also label all abusive women as victims or ones who provoke their abuses. But abused women need strength by means of outside encouragement, love, motivation, counseling, stability and help, whether they stay in the relationships or not. Abusive men, particularly ones who do love their women because often times, some truly do, need strength and help (from stress, financial issues, drugs, alcohol, depression, retaliation from constant abuse from the women, anger from adulterous women, and mental disorders).

DV is an extremely serious issue because I will assume that everybody knows at least one person, who they truly love, male or female, who were or are currently the victims or abusers of DV. DV hurts victims, those how love them, and I know firsthand that some abusers (male and female) become affected too.

So, the issue of DV is a very sensitive subject and do need to be handled with care. I now came to avoid placing DV on politics such as race, ethnicity, classism, racism, colorism, sex, gender, or intersectionality because the issue is too complex to theorize. Up to this point in the research, I became deeply affected and obviously the authors and researchers of the particular papers that I tended to also.

Now, please excuse my previous tone as it has changed. But for the sake of this research, will still address African Americans and females, without trying to take away from DV on males and other races. I may be writing about African Americans and females, but know that thoughts are on others, including the awareness of firsthand observations, experiences, and stories.

Furthermore, although this research is a very difficult one, it has definitely gave me fuller understanding of the entire general issue, outside of politics. It is a common issue that assumingly affects everybody and a lot of people are hurting, including those who abuse because in some cases, abusive people commit DV because of unresolved inner pain.