Fired For Being Abused

In 2013, Natasha Velez was assaulted by her boyfriend, requiring a trip to the emergency room and doctor ordered time off from work.  Having met with management and presenting the appropriate documents, Natasha was surprised to be fired on her first day back due to having “too many issues outside of work.”  Luckily for Natasha, New York state, where she lives, has a law banning discrimination against victims of domestic violence.  Not all states have this law, and FMLA doesn’t address the specific needs of this vulnerable population.

In class, we’ve discussed the need for family leave, but I believe this situation adds another element to the argument. Doctor’s appointments, court dates, therapy sessions and a host of other appointments can make it difficult for victims to maintain employment while completing the process.  We seem to agree (as a class) that paid family leave is needed, but what are your thoughts on allowing a family leave program allowing the time to be used for other personal matters?

Personally, I think it is important to consider this as part of family leave to make sure that victims have access to paid time off when dealing with an already stressful situation.  I don’t believe that we can count on all states implementing laws like New York has done.  I also don’t believe we can leave it up to employers to look after their employees in situations like this.  And I don’t see a need for a separate leave program since it can be included in a family leave program (which we will hopefully have sooner or later.) I’d love to hear your opinions as well!

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/10/24/3715148/domestic-violence-paid-leave/