Sex Trafficking in South Asia

http://www.sciencedirect.com.jproxy.lib.ecu.edu/science/article/pii/S0020729206001901?np=y

Throughout my blog posts I have mainly tried to stick with articles where the main point of the article is about males and boys are being trafficked. However this article is a bit different. The main point of this article is about women and children and the different types of trafficking that they fall victim to. I did like this article because they do mention that boys are victimized as well. the downfall of this article is that there is no mention of men being human trafficked, just that they are the perpetrators of these crimes. The article details the different reasons that people are trafficked in the again countries. There are reasons beyond sex that people are essentially forced back into slavery. They are being used for begging on the streets, cheap labor and of course prostitution. The articles notes that many of these victims comes from rural areas in which their families have sold them in an attempt to escape systemic poverty. Another reason I did like this article is because it dives into the risks and consequences of these crimes. There is an increased risk of contracting HIV/AIDs among other sexually transmitted infections. Along with health risk there are many physiological costs that come along with falling victim. There is an increased chance of drug and alcohol abuse, depression and suicide. I wish that these articles would talk about men and their struggles that they face with human trafficking, but it seems like articles refuse to see men as a victim.