Sexual Harassment in the Workplace

Sexual Harassment and Assault at Work: Understanding the Costs

Too many times sexual harassment has been a major problem within not only this century but even before it was actually talked about women were suffering. In the workplace sexual harassment is often just looked at and not taken seriously as if it is the “norm” or that is to be expected. In this article, the details include where sexual harassment is mainly done at and the many ways of how sexual harassment can take a toll on a person’s mental and physical health.

Further in the article, one of the subheadings are entitled Employees Situations with High Rates if Harassment some of them include male dominated workplaces, working in a isolated context, but the one that stuck out the most to me was the one where the workplace has the employees working for tips. In my experience, I can definitely attest to the fact that in a fast food establishment or restaurant, I have seen or been a victim to sexual harassment. Whether a fellow employee tries to blow it off and state that they were just “being friendly” or “brushed” by me, I still felt uncomfortable and unhappy in that space.

Knowing the actions of being sexually harassed they do have costs. Not only with the company the action was done at but also on the individual that was harassed. In the article, the author includes that a lot of people in the workplace where they got harassed often experience PTSD, thinking that it may happen again to them. I can also agree with that as well with thinking of calling out or even just quitting because I couldn’t see my aggressors’ face anymore. Also the cost of companies also comes in knowing that the harassed women can always sue the company and eventually losing a lot of great employees slowing the flow if production.

In conclusion, I feel that the conversations of sexual harassment has definitely become more open especially with the #MeToo movement empowering women and/or men of how they have been exposed to the harshness of the act. Although we are moving forward there is still room for improvement, I suggest more reading and more listening especially from the victims will stop the act.

The question is: How soon will we see change, what more most be done to show this is an ongoing issue?