Nevada animal shelter helps domestic-violence survivors stay united with their pets – Blog Post 4

Link: https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/nevada-animal-shelter-domestic-violence-survivors-pets

I thought to share a little bit of a happier post since we talk about a lot of hard/heavy subjects in this class.

A nonprofit organization called “Noah’s Animal House’s” works with a neighboring women’s shelter in order to make sure that domestic abuse survivors can still have their pets upon escaping their abusers since most women’s shelters don’t allow pets. The shelter provides veterinary care, toys, food, and private cuddle rooms for both dogs and cats for the owners.

It goes on to talk about a woman named “Sarah,” for safety reasons, who lived in her car with her children and her dog because she wasn’t sure what to do with her dog they loved so much.

When talking about domestic abuse survivors we usually think of a woman leaving with herself, or her kids, but never really stop to think about the animals they have too. If you own or have owned a pet you know that they are family and it’s just as hard to leave them because of that. This is something that could ultimately stop a victim from leaving their abuser because they don’t want the animal to suffer. However, this shelter helps relieve that pain and stress.

1 thought on “Nevada animal shelter helps domestic-violence survivors stay united with their pets – Blog Post 4”

1. I absolutely love this! I have three cats and a dog that are my family. I got my cats for emotional support since I have bipolar disorder and I would be lost without them. It makes my heart happy to read such a positive impact the shelter is making in the survivor’s lives.