Beth Wantz, our Latest Student Spotlight, Plans to Teach for the Next 20 Years

Beth is a senior, graduating in May of 2015,  and majoring in Elementary Education with a concentration in Science.  She graduated from Holly Springs High School in 2011. She is currently the president of the Science Education Club and is employed as a student worker at the ECU Center for STEM Education.  She has been on the Chancellor’s List for maintaining a 4.0 GPA for the past three years and has received scholarships from the ECU College of Education for the past two years.   She has been a camp counselor at the ECU Summer Science Camp and when not busy with school, she enjoys going to Pirate football games and spending time with her friends and family.

What key qualities do you have that make you a teacher?

Qualities that I have that make me fit to be a teacher are that I am flexible, empathetic, and upbeat.  These are all qualities that I believe an effective teacher must have, especially in the elementary grades.  I am also a driven and motivated person who will always give 110% for my students.

What are your career plans?

After graduating in May of 2015, I plan to be an Elementary teacher within the state of North Carolina.  After a couple years of teaching elementary school I plan to return back to school to receive my Master degree in either Science Education or Educational Administration.   I am planning to teach for about twenty years and then proceed to a job that is higher up in the field of education.

Why did you choose East Carolina University?

I chose ECU because of the beautiful campus, school spirit, and the reputation of the College of Education.  I also loved the fact that ECU is located in a college town.

Who has inspired you? Or Who has been the biggest influence on your career? Or Who is a role model for you in your professional life?

Mrs. Tammy Lee has inspired me in so many different ways.  She has pushed me with my assignments and lessons throughout my college career because she knows what I am capable of doing.  Mrs. Lee has given me many opportunities outside of school that will greatly benefit me as a teacher, such as taking me to the National Science Teacher Association Conference in the fall of 2013.  With doing this, Mrs. Lee has given me the confidence that every effective teacher must have in order to benefit their students.  Mrs. Lee has also taken the time to teach me how to be a good teacher and a good person.  She is my biggest influence and my role model.

Why do you want to be a teacher?

I want to be a teacher for those “ah-ha” moments that children have as soon as they learn something new.  I live for those moments.  It is an indescribable feeling when you see a child get excited or feel proud of him or herself when they learn something new because of you.  I also want to be a teacher because of my love of children and in order give back to my community.

What do/did you like most about ECU?

I love the ECU spirt that every pirate fan shows.  When you are walking around to the different tailgates on game days you can feel the energy and excitement in the air.  There is no other school that has the same school spirit and dedication that ECU has.  If you go to ECU or you went to ECU, you are part of the purple and gold family.

In what ways has ECU prepared you for your field? 

The professors within the College of Education, and the courses that they teach, are fantastic .  The course material that I am learning is directly related to my career as a future teacher.  They truly care about their students and want us to succeed within our teacher career.  I have had many professors who offer to spend time outside of class in order to help me and my peers with assignments and lesson plans.  The ECU College of Education also has many practicum experiences where we are out in the field working and observing in real classrooms.  These practicum experiences start as early as sophomore year.