Making Progress

How can I help my DeafBlind student with no vision and hearing gradually learn and make small progress? This was the question I had during the Alabama DeafBlind conference. Reflecting on this conference, there were many ideas to be considered for my student. Throughout the year, I had my first challenge. I had served students with DeafBlindness before but their visual impairment was not a primary concern in their academic performance. Sure, I had to tweak a few things on the computer and in their environment for them but overall, they were mostly independent with no braille and were self-sufficient. 

In the fall of 2021, when I got my student MHV, she was unlike the previous students. She scored low on the Communication Matrix due to the fact that she had no eyes, stemming from the birth defect, Anophthalmia, therefore no vision at all to rely on, and very little useful hearing. This student lived in her own world, and I tried very hard to see her perspective and ask myself, “If I was in her mind daily, what would her world look like?” Relying only on three senses was not enough to understand the world around her. I already knew in her case that she needed an intervener, and I waited a whole year for that position to be filled. I was her teacher, and I could not sit or move with her all day as I had to rotate around other students with special needs. The issue with the inability to find an intervener was that my school labeled the position, “a braillist” when it was simply NOT that! The student did not understand braille and struggled to understand most hand-under-hand signs. When applicants see that position, they are not thinking this is an intervener position- they would skip through it not understanding the duties and dire importance of this position. I advocated for my student to get this changed and human resources at my school system did not recognize that profession. I learned at the conference of one parent advocated by going to the governor (sadly, not in my state) to press the concept that interveners are the key to success for DB students. My friend, Krystal who joined me at the conference, is an intervener and I hear a lot of success and strides about her student. I am also curious to see her perspective written here about being an intervener. MHV, my student was in dire need of an intervener. She would work to an extent that someone stays with her but if one leaves, she gives up and sits and waits. My heart drops to see her that way- she needs someone! Also while listening to the Adapted Physical Education (APE) speaker, her idea of getting these students moving constantly to improve their physical stance was crucial. Our own APE teacher struggles to get MHV to complete any simple tasks when she simply wants to walk with guidance and bite her hands to meet sensory needs. She refuses to throw or catch a ball or reach for an item above her head. All of these details demonstrate that she has lived a life of dependency from which she may never break. I learned from this conference that she needs one-on-one assistance around the clock during the school day to enhance her understanding of the world. She lives in a dark world and is trapped there unless someone is there to “show” her the world through touch, smell, and taste. One minute of sitting alone and quiet is a huge communication and awareness gap being created. Vision and hearing are imperative for understanding the environment around us, if not present, a one-on-one accommodation must be made. 

In conclusion, I am honored that East Carolina University has recognized me as a teacher that strives to help a student who is deaf-blind and that additional training will help me become successful. I am currently an itinerant teacher with new caseloads of five additional DeafBlind students around Wake County. Observing all of them, they are truly unique and have different needs than MHV. One student utilizes braille on a daily basis, so I am learning how to prepare my lessons to be ready ahead of time to allow for text to be converted to braille. For 20 years, I have developed skills in teaching language and reading to deaf students but teaching that to DeafBlind students requires a different approach and I am ready to learn the different ways to help them reach success.

Crystal Pittman

Itinerant of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Wake County Public School System

Special Education Services