Empowering Super Bowl Show or not?

Jennifer Lopez performs during halftime of the NFL Super Bowl 54 football game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

Last night’s half-time show for the Super Bowl featured two Latina stars:  Shakira and Jennifer Lopez. It was high energy with incredible dance routines and complex choreography. Both artists said they wanted the show to be empowering to women. But was it? While these two are undoubtedly talented artists with a lot of star power, I was disturbed that the implicit message seemed to be that women are empowered only when they are highly sexualized, even into middle age. Much of the performance involved sexualized dancing with prominent crotch grabs and Lopez on a stripper pole. Even more jarring to me was the juxtaposition of this with Lopez’ 11-year old daughter singing with a group of young girls in the background. What messages were being sent to those young women about how to succeed? I also thought it interesting that the male stars featured were covered head to toe in baggy sweats. From my perspective, Demi Lovato’s stunning performance of the national anthem was more empowering and inspiring, especially as it has been a goal of hers to perform it for ten years. But maybe I am just a cranky old person. I’d like to hear your perspectives as younger women.

17 thoughts on “Empowering Super Bowl Show or not?”

1. Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the superbowl because I was closing at work last night (again this morning too) . I agree that the preformance itself was sexualized, However from what I gathered through reports of the show was that Shakira illustrated various cultural aspects from Colombia and the Middle East such as the “Champeta” dance and the “zaghrouta” vocal expression. I saw this as as a valuable resource to shine light on other cultures, especially from a female perspective. I did not watch the actual show so I cannot comment on the level of sexualization, although I don’t doubt that it was present.

• I also did not watch the SuperBowl (to be honest I don’t even know what it really is as I do not watch American Football). But both women are very influential in the music industry and are famous for representing Latina power. It is common that female performances use the women’s body more than would be in a male performance. It can be seen in two lights: the choice of the woman to empower herself by embracing her body or as a negative example for other women to feel that there body is most important. It really is subjective and I feel that solutions to this problem would be to give praise to all performances from Demi Lovato to Shakira to JLo. Praise should be emphasized on a woman’s choice and the freedom to be loved and accepted in all manners, not just to women who use their sexuality.

2. I enjoyed this half time show and agreed that it was very empowering. My biggest argument was that last year Adam Levine was shirtless the whole halftime show and everyone swooned over him. So why is this any different? I honestly didn’t think Shakira’s outfit was bad, I would wear that downtown. JLo on the stripper pole was impressive, the muscles and body structure needed for that is insane. Who cares if her daughter saw it? If I saw my mom doing this I would cheer her on like nobody’s business. Sex sells. Women should use that to their advantage instead of hating it. Men in movies are sexualized all the time, take Magic Mike for example. So why are women ridiculed when we do the same thing? Society has made it so when women do these things it’s seen as bad or inappropriate, when in reality men do the same things and aren’t ridiculed for it. Also, they were embracing their cultures. The Latin culture is a very sexual one, the tango being one of the sexiest dances you can do. Why leave out the sexuality when that’s the whole culture? I saw nothing wrong with the halftime show in my opinion.

• Good points; maybe I am too old fashioned but I worry that doing the hyper-sexualized dancing is playing into stereotypes that this is the only way women can be successful in Holly wood. Of course, men feel that pressure too. And stripping can be a choice but often it is not and women are exploited in that business.

3. I think the reason that Shakira’s and Jenifer Lopez’s half-time show did show empowerment for women is because it’s what they wanted to do. Both women are known for being amazing dancers and when I heard they were doing the halftime show this is exactly what I expected to see. The thing I loved most about their performance was that they really seemed like they were having a great time performing. It was two female artists that came together and respected each and each other’s cultures and just wanted to put on a great show. I think one of the most empowering things women can do for each other is support one another and I felt like that’s what they were doing.

• Yes, I can see that and I thought they communicated respect for Latino culture. I just don’t get why the dancing has to be so sexualized to be deemed good. I am not sure what message that sends to young women and to older women who don’t look like they do.

4. 1. These two women are athletes. They displayed feats of strength and stamina. There clothing was appropriate to show off their abilities, and allow freedom of movement. (I think the crotch grab was to prolong the unveiling of her sparkly body suit….and I wasn’t crazy about the crotch of that first outfit….)
    Yes, it was sexual, but dance evolved from mating rituals, didn’t it? Pole dancing while often associated with seedier places, is also used in Cirque du Soleil and is truly difficult. I doubt many of the male athletes would be able to do what J. Lo did.
    Yes, I felt a little awkward watching it with my parents. But as I shared what I knew about these women’s cultures, and pointed out how impressive their abilities were, we all became a little more comfortable.

2. Something I want to point out, that while it was beautiful, they showed children in cages (albeit made of light) and the next song was Born in the USA. This is too much not to be a form of protest against current immigration policies and actions.

3. Shakira included so much from her cultures: she sang in Spanish, Arabic, and Afrikaans; a part of the dance was Champata that is specific to Columbia (even to her town); she used the celebration sound of ululation (zaghrouta) used in many Arabic countries; belly dancing is Middle Eastern; she also danced mapalé, which is an Afro-Columbian dance.

4. Jennifer Lopez is an athlete, a Latinx, a Puerto Rican, an astounding smart and beautiful woman. Her first words to the crowd were Spanish. She made a strong statement, wearing/displaying the flag that was the USA flag AND the Puerto Rican flag.
    Unfortunately many people don’t understand that while Puerto Ricans are citizens, and have the ability to freely migrate to the States, do not have voting rights in the presidential election, there is no voting representative in D.C., they are treated like second class citizens. Even before Hurricane Maria, and the series of earthquakes this winter, infrastructure was terrible. Electricity was unreliable in many places outside of San Juan. Now it is much worse, and while there are more problems than how our government treats our closest territory…it definitely needs more attention.

5. Another note about the Puerto Rican flag and its history. It was illegal to own , from 1948 to -57 owning one could get you 10 years in jail on the island. According to the article I found one person arrested was 8 years old.

6. All of the “guest artists” were also Latinx. To have a halftime show, the most watched event of the year be a performance from all Latinx people,including the singer of Demi Lovato (born in New Mexico, her father is of Mexican decent), is fantastic and unexpected from a conservative organization like the NFL.

Some of my information came from these sources:
    https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/diversity-inclusion/481164-these-are-all-the-cultural-references-you-missed
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22928891-war-against-all-puerto-ricans

5. While I did not watch the Super Bowl, I did watch a video of the halftime show on YouTube. When I first watched it, I was surprised at the movements and outfits chosen for the performance, but after stepping back for a moment I found myself in awe of them. They displayed the dances of their culture and their outfits enhanced their dance moves, accentuating the skill that they have and the work that they put in to be able to perform at that level. I felt that all three Latina women showed strength and empowerment to their cultures with their performances and showed that you do not have to fit into a “norm” to be seen as powerful and strong.

• Good point–maybe I am too old fashioned. I thought the Puerto Rican flag was the best moment but I still wonder about everything having to be so sexualized and what message that sends.

6. I really liked the superbowl performance. I thought that it was so empowering! I could see that some people may find their clothing options “scandalous”, but how are their outfits any different from the outfits that Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, or Katy Perry wore? At some point they all changed into an outfit that may be considered scandalous, but how are they any different? I think that people are forgetting the power and representation that this performance held. In this political climate, the fact that these performers were singing/rapping in Spanish was incredible and powerful. Overall, I think women embracing their sexiness, culture, and talent is badass and extremely empowering.

• Good point about their powerful representation of Latina culture. But did they need to do it with crotch grabs and licking of microphones?

7. I watched the Super Bowl halftime show, and I thought it was a great, high energy performance. I truly believe that both women represented women empowerment. I was angered when people started to specialize them. This performance was empowering because it showed that women can do whatever they set their minds to. It also was empowering for me as a minority woman. They showed respect for their heritages and countries, which is amazing. As far as the sexual dancing, that empowers women to have sexual freedom. Women are deemed “nasty”, “inappropriate” and excuse my language, “sluts” and “whores” for being sexual, when men get to do it everyday without any stigma. I felt empowered to see two woman, unapologetically, showing their sexual freedom and live TV. Also, I think Demi’s performance was also very empowering. I don’t see anything wrong with having “sex appeal”, as many celebrities have it (men included). But to the public it’s only bad when women do it because “that’s all they’re good for— selling sex”. Jermaine Dupree made a similar statement about female rappers and how they had to sell sex in order to be successful. I don’t agree with him in that case or with the people sexualizing J Lo and Shakira’s performance. It was simply two women who worked hard, slayed the stage (and had an amazing time while doing it) and made a lot of money doing it.

As for the message it sends to little girls, most children don’t even look at it that way. Most little girls were probably in awe with the performance and really liked it. It’s the adults that have the problem with it. I think it send a a great message to little girls: work hard, stay focused/determined and you can do whatever you want to in the world.

All in all, if men can be sexual entities, why can’t women?

8. I really have no opinion on it, this season I didn’t watch the Super Bowl. I honestly have seen more people complaining about the people who have complained about Jlo and Shakira, I myself believe that we as people shouldn’t condemn these women’s performance when last year, Adam Levine stripped on stage and the cheerleaders who perform every game wearing outfits that leave little to the imagination. I think it was a wonderful performance of Latin culture from what I have seen and I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was empowering, but more of a sense of freedom to dress and perform how they like. That being said it was a family event and I wouldn’t necessarily be comfortable with my little brother seeing it, but I’m not going to slut-shame these women- especially after Jlo just made a movie about strippers and I merely saw that as a shamless plug for her movie.

• Yes, I was thinking about Adam LeVine last year and he didn’t need to take his shirt off either! So I know to a large extent it is conforming to audience expectations. But it was a very strong presentation of Latina culture that I thought was unnecessarily undercut by the crotch grabbing and microphone licking.

9. I did not watch the Super Bowl with as much enthusiasm this year, but I was very excited to watch Shakira and Jennifer Lopez perform. Personally, I was not taken aback by Shakira and Jennifer Lopez’s performances. To me, it seemed like they were just performing at a concert. While watching it, me and my friends made positive comments about both of their appearances and choice of clothing. We were amazed at how much stamina they had and how much energy and effort they put into their performances, especially since they are not so young anymore. I did not feel uncomfortable watching them perform, but I can understand where others may have felt that way.

10. Personally, I did not watch the past Super Bowl and did not get a chance to watch the Half-time show until about 2 weeks later. I agree with you that I found that Lovato’s national anthem rendition shined brighter due to her absence of the spotlight recently. An artist dealing with substance abuse and taking a well deserved absence from fame has gave her strength to preform a lifetime dream of hers. My feelings towards Lopez and Shakira’s performance are positive. I enjoy the flow of the songs and especially Shakira’s dancing numbers. For the shame against them for performing in scandalous outfits, I find this harassment unnecessary. These iconic hispanic women wish to perform and support their ethnicities in this way should be praised. A great example to fight my point is the previous year where Adam Levine preformed. Women found him to be extremely attractive for revealing his upper body, but the performers this year were disrespected.