Weekly Post #8: “The queer artist whose controversial street performances are taking on the Russian government”

Russian performance artist Gena Marvin challenges political and social expectations through her work. She performs in public on the streets of Moscow, often wearing ethereal costumes made of found materials, and wearing striking, alien-like make-up. She defies the Russian authorities by performing in public places. One of Marvin’s performances involves taping the Russian flag colors to her body and walking as part of an anti-police protest demanding the release of Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny. Gena’s actions ultimately led to her expulsion from Moscow College for expressing a negative view of the government. Marvin’s performances, and her very existence as a queer person, are not without risk, including physical violence, threats, and homophobic abuse. But Marvin, who is non-binary, remains defiant and remains committed to her art regardless of the risks she faces. “Whenever I go out in character, I’m on top of the world. No one, even here in Russia, can scare me. I’m like a knight in armor,” she states in her new documentary “Queendom.” 

https://www.cnn.com/style/gena-marvin-queendom-russia-activist/index.html