Kyle Smithwick: Another POLS Alum in the 40 under 40 List for ECU This Year!

Kyle Smithwick, B.S. Political Science (‘12) alumnus, is an ECU 2021 “40 Under Forty” Leadership Awards recipient. Smithwick’s #HarriotCollegeMajor is helping him #MakeADifference. He is an attorney who advises the Judiciary Committee in the U.S. House of Representatives on immigration policy and legislation.
“My first job on Capitol Hill was with the U.S. House of Representatives Oversight and Reform Committee on the National Security Subcommittee, where I learned how to run a congressional investigation,” Smithwick said. “This is the root of checks and balances that we learn about in civics class. Congress holds the Executive Branch accountable by rooting out fraud, waste and abuse. There is never a dull day.”
Smithwick said ECU prepares students with the tools to be good leaders and citizens.
“I was blessed to have exemplary mentors at ECU, both in my campus job and in political science. Those mentors helped guide me and are still my mentors now,” he said.
Smithwick encourages leadership in others, as is evidenced by his role in creating the Chancellor’s Student Leadership Academy at ECU, which helps students deepen their leadership knowledge.

KS