You are currently viewing Ask Miss Liza: It’s Halloween… Are You Scared?

Ask Miss Liza: It’s Halloween… Are You Scared?

Dear Miss Liza,

Last Halloween, my niece and nephew wore Pirate costumes (since we’re in Greenville) for trick or treat. I guess the trick was on us! We found out later that the buttons on the costumes may have contained high amounts of lead.  I know you have friends in Environmental health… What do they say? Should I be scared?

Maddie

Ask Miss LizaDear Maddie,

Here’s a reason to be scared on Halloween. A few years ago, 1,400 Halloween costumes, made in China, were seized by the Consumer Product Safety Commission after they were found to contain over 11 times the legal limit for lead.  Illegal amounts of lead were found in the pink trim and buttons of the girl pirate costumes. There was also a claim that a plastic eye patch included in the costume contained 40 times the acceptable level of lead. Children younger than 6 years are especially vulnerable to lead poisoning, which can severely affect mental and physical development.  The good news is the costumes were intercepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

I’d say forget the pirate costumes (‘though I love me some ECU).  Give each of them a brown paper bag, cut out holes for the eyes, nose and mouth! Ha ha!

Bye!

Miss Liza