Student, Ropp, records anchor details

Finishing the Cannon Site

Today, two groups basically finished working on the cannon and anchor site. My group was in charge of taking the compass bearings for each of the cannon and taking the distances between certain features on the site, including; three cannon, the two anchors, and the shore. To do this, we used a data scope which shoots bearings and distances at an object of a certain height, in this case a 1 meter long photo scale, that can be easily seen across large distances. This proved to be a difficult, but amusing, task as the datascope had to remain above water while we swan long distances and tried to stay in one place in an ever moving sea.

Following that, Katie and I went down to record the different unique and identifying features on all the cannon – 03-15. We looked for typical features, like trunnions and fluted muzzles. Many of these features proved difficult to find because of the concretion layer, but we documented and measured the placement of different coral types on the cannon as well. The process of documenting the cannon allowed Katie and I to swim across the entire site and see all the guns in relation to one. I really loved having the opportunity to see everything. Most of the time, in a project like this, you get focused on your one specific area and do not have the time or perspective to view your small area’s placement in the grand scheme of the site.

To finish documentation, we spent the afternoon gathering all the measurements that had been taken over the past week and created an accurate scaled site map. This map shows the locations of all the cannon and anchors as they are situated on the seabed. This process was really neat because I have spent the last week working on measuring the site. I also was able to participate in creating the final project and got to watch it come together before my eyes. I was designated the drawer which meant I got to create the final artistic look of the plan. I was a little nervous at first because it is such a major responsibility, but, after practicing cannon and anchor drawings on scraps of paper, the final product turned out perfectly. Hopefully, someday, someone will be able to use our work to view the site and understand the placement of the cannon and anchors to make valuable interpretations. We will get the chance to try our hands at interpreting the site following the project. I cannot wait to try to figure out what happened to the ship that these 13 cannon were once on.

-Allyson